Monday, October 22, 2012


My presentation was not nearly as good as it could/should have been both graphically and verbally. Unfortunately the comments were (mostly) not helpful in terms of the final push because there wasn't much for them to comment on. Overall, people do not seem to have issues with my project, my concept or my form, but they hate my drawings. So do I; time to change that.  Some very good points were made and this poor showing will help motivate me to make the final push.

This looks like week 3 work:
                Not a very helpful comment, but I'll be the first to say it is somewhat legitimate. Switching programs from sketchup last semester, into Microstation, and now into Revit2d definitely set me back time-wise in terms of what I had to show for my efforts. However, I have learned a lot about my project through the switch, and I think I am set up to make real progress in the next couple weeks. Regardless of life issues or software issues, we all have to overcome the obstacles that are in our way, and I am no exception. While I disagree that I am at week 3 work, I realize that what was up there sucked and looked much less developed than what I have shown before. I think that I need to stop trying to make the computer graphics work for me and use more of my hand. 

Scuba or No Scuba that is the question:
                This is probably THE issue that I have been struggling with ever since the final review last semester. I have been tentative about the scuba aspect of the program because explaining it the way that I have been explaining it has felt disingenuous to me. I need to express the scuba program correctly and take ownership of it. It’s a cool idea that will get the kids excited, and I need to stop being afraid of it. Embrace Scuba Steve is my new motto from here on out. It is the crux of the whole project and I have been tentative. This has also made me tentative in my drawings and figuring out the plans to the fullest extent. I was hesitant to even draw the scuba portion and it hurt me.

Not buying the ramp to the top:
                This is another item that has frequently come up in reviews. I have struggled with making the series of ramps physically work and actually be an enjoyable experience. I think that the initial idea of the ramp has been polluted and I am rethinking this aspect. My intention of the “Ramped” form of the building was to present an inviting green plaza to the city, and to provide outdoor spaces to enjoy a book or study. As this project has evolved, I have decided to make the outdoor spaces more about being able to access the outside from the inside, rather than the visa versa. I think this also helps strengthen the library program. While previously I was focused on making the whole roof accessible by wheelchair, I realized that this is not necessary and probably not desirable for a person in the wheelchair to begin with. I can’t imagine that a handicapped person would want to traverse hundreds of feet of vertical ramps when they could access them through the elevator and then enjoy the space inside and out. The new approach will give me the freedom to make the green roof the way I want it and not necessarily be restricted by an accessible sloped ramp. The different levels of the interior will all connect to the exterior so that on any level, one can choose to be indoors or out to enjoy their book. This also helps the issue of security and books being checked in and out.

Watch water rise:
This is one of the strong points of the decision not to float the building, but rather anchor it beneath the water. I have not shown some of these important moments in a drawing. This is vital to truthfully explain my concept for the two buildings.

Thesis Thesis Thesis:
Not sure I made a coherent sentence in my entire review. I need to strengthen my thesis statement and get it down to three sentences that I can explain the project and then step away. I think that I have a much better time explaining a project once the thesis part is out of the way, but by then I have lost the attention of reviewers if the first few sentences are gibberish. Every Friday from here till the end, I will rewrite the thesis statement in order to refine and remind myself. I think that last semester I was more diligent about this, and the reviews seemed to go more smoothly as a result.

Differentiate water and land components: Stilts?
                Not sure I want to add stilts to the project at this point. I think that my parti is stronger with the mass in the earth as opposed to above it, but I may do an exercise or two to see if I can gain anything from it.


DISCLAIMER OF RIGHTS
These statements cannot be used against me in a court of grading  in accordance with the Geneva Convention, Article 22984, section 3, paragraph 12.

Sincerely, The Law Firm

No comments:

Post a Comment