Monday, October 22, 2012

Bold=Reviewer thoughts
No Bold=My Responding Thoughts

-Don't buy the program of the building. 
 I need to explain what the program is more clearly. I think part of the problem is that the reviewers are not very familiar with shared work-spaces and innovation centers, which are new types of programs. I think they get the concept, but have a hard time understanding why people would want to use these spaces. I don't have a hard time with this because I am familiar with these and know that they have become very successful around the world and in Boston. I need to show this, and that this site is an ideal location for another one.

Stone wall concept can be stronger
Tie the structure of the building into the stone wall as it emerges from the water.

Hard to visually walk through the plans
Connect my renderings to the interiors. Complete a series of interior renderings with active people. This will help to explain the plans and also the program.

Pedestrian tunnel is hard for people to understand and visualize
Diagram the procession of people and add a photo.

Confused about the parti diagram (shouldn't it be more like my conversation/innovation/ creation  diagram?)
Explore how the formal decisions of the design should support my parti. Perhaps it is time to explore more of a mixing of formal languages. I think this can be done by exploring the materiality of the different parts of the building. Look at the cross pollination of conversation and creation.

Presentation hard to comprehend as a whole (too long, cant see all the work from one place)
I think there were a few problems here. I do think some of the diagrams and drawings and renderings were simply not seen. While I was describing some things, I noticed some reviewers were not even paying attention to what I was saying but instead looking at other drawings, and then asking questions about things I had already explained. Despite my frustration with that, ultimately it is on me to keep their attention. I may produce a digital presentation to focus reviewers attention, and then supplemental, for conversations sake, with drawings and boards.

Don't really understand the buildings interaction with the surrounding area (innovation district)
Not sure what to do here. I thought my whole project was about that, but somehow it was missed.

I think that I am close to having what I want to have in the design. There are some small formal and material decision that may change in my design, but mostly I have to work on the presentation and representation of the building and the concept.  I want reviewers to confidently believe that the program is perfect of that locations, so we don't have to discuss that at the final review.I feel strongly that it is the perfect program for the site, and have struggled from the beginning to get reviewers to understand this. My decisions are based in a lot of matrices, research and analysis, which I no longer feel confident that reviewers will be able to understand without me explaining it to them. However, I can not take the time out of my 5 minute presentation to do so, so ultimately I have to explain it in a new simplified way. I have yet to figure out exactly what this way actually is.




No comments:

Post a Comment