Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I thought the review did well to push back on my formal exploration this semester.  The decisions I made to logistically solve my building began to stray from the initial intent of the project.  The building is a grand move to expose the urban section but only does so through minor glass slits that show layers of dirt.  I basically need to be more aggressive.  I need to actively address the elements of infrastructure, history, and expression.  Each element needs its own space to make the statement I hope will resensitize the use.  Rather than a library of expression with some exposed duct work and pipes, fringed with windows to dirt (trying to hit expression, infrastructure, and history respectively) I need to explore what it would mean to inhabit, adjacentize [new awesome architectural word I invented], and mix the spaces within the urban section I find most important.

The above sketch is an exploration of how each of these urban elements can become part of the same architectural intervention.  My next steps are to do some mappings of site infrastructure (man holes, gas, electric lines, etc.), expressive spaces (what other forms of city expression are there around the site/greater boston), and get specific geological data (so I have something to inform the depth of my building/specific conditions to expose within.)  In addition, I need to put some thought into the kind of library this is.  I have been ruminating on the idea of 'a library of the city.'  I think this has potential but needs organization.  Anybody let me know what you think.

p.s. Everyone lets get Arlen to not cut his hair until the final review.  20 bucks a person...it will be worth it to watch Fabio present a library on climate change.  Trust me.

Arlen...thats 160 dollars, think about all the zap a gap you could buy.                 

No comments:

Post a Comment